Thursday, January 3, 2008

Palmour Tavern Fire - Updater

The fire was called in at 9:33 a.m. today when neighbors saw grey smoke coming from the basement. Firefighters from Whitney, South Porcupine and Timmins responded and discovered a faulty electrical panel which is suspected as being connected to the cause of the fire. Firefighters were unable to fully attack the fire until the live electricity had been shut off by Hydro One. More than thirty minutes passed before that could be done. Fire chief Mike Pintar says that’s all it took for the fire to spread into the walls which then spread throughout the building. There were several residents living in the upstairs apartments but they were all quickly evacuated and no injuries were reported. By noon today, the smoke was so thick that Highway 101 in Porcupine was closed to traffic. Firefighters continued to battle the blaze and eliminate hotspots until nearly 5:00 p.m. The fire scene is now under police guard. The Ontario Fire Marshal’s office has been notified.

No comments: